Here are the books we enjoyed the most on our July-trip:
- The Magician's Nephew, by CS Lewis - This classic was a real hit with the kids, and I really like it too. My daughter's favorite character, for some reason, is Uncle Andrew, the wicked magician who sends the two children in the story off on the adventure which leads them to Narnia.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by CS Lewis - There is more tragedy, and more intense drama, in this book than the previously mentioned Narnia-book, but it's a great read. Both books are great to read aloud.
- Are you my mother?, by P.D. Eastman - The Kindle-version of this very simple little book is a favorite for the kids when we're waiting in airports.
- The Great Dinosaur Search, by Heywood - My daughter loves this book with the facts about dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals, and especially loves searching for the various animals and plants in the pictures.
- A song of Ice and Fire, books 1-4, by George RR Martin - As for myself, I spent my days reading the first four books in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series (AKA Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin. It is an excellent read, though definitely a lot more adult in content than the other suggestions in this post! Highly recommended, especially if you're at all into fantasy, but even if you're not: these books are very well-written and highly addictive.