Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn money from qualifying purchases made using the advertising links on this page.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

5 places I wish I was at with my kids right now

Later this year, I'll be doing quite a bit of traveling with my children. There's another trip to Sweden coming up this summer most likely, maybe one for next Christmas too, and before that there's Spring Break to take care of. But right now, we're pretty much not going anywhere but school, preschool, and the rec centers.

Today, the Wet Coast winter weather was teasing me with some sunshine in the morning, then dumped rain on my head, before howling a cold wind through my jacket, and finally hammering some more rain on my window tonight.

Like the Terminator, I was definitely thinking that I need a vacation. So where would I rather be with my kids right now? Here are five spots that sound pretty good to me right now.

Maui, July 2009.
1. Maui
Yes, this is definitely my top-rated destination. Just plunk me down on a beach on this island with my kids, some sunscreen, a bottle of water and a nice beach towel and I'm all set.

2. Australia
I've never been down-under, but this country is definitely on my bucket list. Flying there with the kids would certainly be something of an endurance test, but heck, I think we've practiced enough to pull it off! Beaches, Uluru, coral, outback, marsupials: I want to see it all. 

3. Thailand
So, I'm a self-confessed beach potato. And I've heard enough travel stories and seen enough gorgeous pictures to figure that Thailand is a place I'd love to visit with my kids. Giving them a chance to eat fresh mango and ride elephants doesn't sound too bad either, and the Thai cuisine would be another definite plus.

4. The Algarve
Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I spent a lot of time on the Algarve in Portugal. February might not be the warmest time to go there, but I'd take it. Meia Praia in Lagos is not a bad place to hang out, the kids would love it, and the almond trees should be in bloom already, or at least pretty soon. Wouldn't mind a trip to Sagres either. I think the kids would enjoy seeing o fim do mundo "the end of the world".

5. Greece
It's been a very, very long time since I traveled to Greece. So long that it kind of makes me feel old just thinking about it. I backpacked there as a teenager, and would dearly love to go back with my kids for some train-travel and island-hopping. Crete is high on my list of places to visit, and I'd want to take the kids to Acropolis as well. I'd also love to take them to Corfu, or Kerkyra, where I spent a couple of weeks on that backpacking trip, aeons ago.

Five destinations, and all five are beach destinations. Am I surprised? Nope. The beach is the place to be. Wherever the beach happens to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...