Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn money from qualifying purchases made using the advertising links on this page.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Travel gear for kids

I'm going for a family vacation with my children later this spring, one involving a long flight (as usual), and I'm starting to look around for things that might entertain the kids on the trip.

Kidz Gear Wired Headphones For KidsKid-sized headphones
Proper headphones for kids are a great thing to bring on a flight. On most longer flights these days, every passenger has access to their own TV, which means your kids can watch TV shows or movies, sometimes even play games, to pass the time on board. However, some airlines do charge for headphones these days, and the headphones offered free of charge are not always a great fit for kids. And if the headphones keep slipping off, then it will be harder for your child to enjoy all that in-air entertainment.

I like the looks of these Kidz Gear headphones, and they seem to be adjustable enough to work for most children.

Fisher-Price Doodle Pro Travel LightFisher-Price Doodle Pro Travel Green
Doodle pads
I have not brought doodle pads along on our family trips before, but I am seriously considering buying a couple for our flight this spring. Benefits: they are absolutely 100% mess-free, the pen is attached so it won't get lost on the airplane or at the airport, and the whole thing is sturdy enough to stuff into a bag.

I'm not sure the travel light is really a necessary accessory though. I keep looking at it in the picture, thinking that it would probably break off, or be broken off..., in about five minutes.

Desk to Go By Alex ToysDesk to go
This is another option I'm considering for take-along drawing and painting supplies. It's not completely mess proof, since you do bring along real pens and crayons, but it's all nicely packaged up together and provides a place for the kids to put their pens and paper.

This would also be nice to have as a "drawing center" once we're at our destination too. I'm a sucker for anything that looks like it would keep things more organized, so this one, or a similar product, might very well end up in one of our carry-ons.

Amazing Airplanes (Amazing Machines)An airplane book
Airplane books are great to have on hand when you're traveling by air, and can help you explain to your kids what to expect on a flight, what the different parts of the airplane are called, or help you talk about where all those strange (and sometimes scary) airplane noises might be coming from.

AirportWe've worn out our previous go-to airplane book so I'm looking for a replacement. Something fun, kid-friendly, with some real airplane facts and information in it. Good facts and some good pictures, that's basically what I look for in these books.

"Amazing Airplanes" by Tony Mitton, looks pretty good from the preview available at Amazon, and I also like the looks of "Airport" by Byron Barton, and I think my kids would enjoy it as well.

2 comments:

  1. Airplane books are a great idea! I was also thinking of play doh but not sure if it would make it through security. http://www.hawaiidiscount.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I wonder what reaction playdoh would get... It would make a good pastime on board for kids though! And not messy, which is definitely a plus.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...