To the kids, the backyard can be a great adventure that lasts all day. Popular backyard activities at our place include:
- making mud,
- digging up worms and moving them to the shady grass under the trampoline,
- watering the flowers,
- bouncing and doing flips and tumbles on the trampoline,
- fighting until somebody cries and comes running for mommy-intervention,
- filling a wagon with rocks or dirt or weeds or water and pulling it around the yard,
- sitting on the swings,
- gathering rocks under the deck,
- trapping bugs in an acrylic glass
- turning the hose on each other,
- blowing soap bubbles,
- playing tag
When we first moved into our house I spent many days with my son, then 2 1/2, just laying in the grass and looking up at the sky and the airplanes. He was fascinated by the airplanes then and that hasn't changed.
Or I like to sit on the deck and watch them while they go all over the backyard, part of them moving through the real world, the other part traveling somewhere else entirely: Worm World, Bug Land, or Mud Lake.
Not a bad way to travel with kids.