Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn money from qualifying purchases made using the advertising links on this page.

Monday, October 10, 2011

5 things I'm thankful for

On the ferry between Saltery Bay and Earl's Cove, Sunshine Coast, BC, Canada.

It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and here are 5 travel-related things I am very thankful for:

1. ...kids who are becoming seasoned travel companions - At ages 4 and 8 they really impressed me this past summer with their patience and ability to cope with 20 hours of flight time, spread out over three flights. We made it all the way to Sweden from Vancouver without any serious mishaps and only a brief exhaustion-related tantrum for each kid.

It is definitely a proud-parent moment to watch them get ready for a security checkpoint, wait patiently at check-in, and help me with the suitcases at the luggage carousel.

2. ...a family that is a lot of fun to travel with - This year, my husband and I and the kids spent spring break in Gran Canaria with my parents, my sister and her daughter. We stayed in a great family resort, enjoyed some fantastic food, great beaches, and an exciting trip around the island together. I'm so thankful to be able to go on travel adventures with them.

3. ...living in such a beautiful part of the world - Living on Canada's west coast means that there are fantastic sights to see, hikes to go on, and beaches to visit just around the corner from where we live. Without traveling very far, we can enjoy the great outdoors in nearby places like Tsawwassen, Stanley Park, Harrison Hot Springs, The Sunshine Coast, Lynn Canyon, or White Rock. It really is a fantastic place to live and I am so thankful that we are lucky enough to live here and be able to enjoy this part of the world with my family.

4. ...individual entertainment screens on long flights - Some things about air travel have become more difficult over the years, but the introduction of individual entertainment screens on airplanes is a definite improvement. I remember the bad old days of craning my neck to catch the one movie shown on the screen somewhere at the front of the airplane. Nowadays, my kids can pick and choose from kids' movies and kids' TV-shows when we fly. Vegging out in front of the TV might not always be the best option for kids' activity, but when you're on a long-haul flight, it is a sanity-saver!

5. ...places and people that help me feel calm, happy, and connected to the world - Places like the various hiking trails around Vancouver I go often with my family (Lynn Canyon and Lynn Headwaters especially), the beaches we enjoy, and my parents' summer house in northern Sweden. Or even just our own backyard on a sunny day with friends over, or the local playground after a regular school day when I can sit in the sun and chat with good friends while the kids enjoy some playtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...